Do you find yourself covering your mouth during close-up conversations with other people? Do you turn away from someone before you start talking? Let’s face it – bad breath is embarrassing and can have an impact on how we interact with people during the course of our day-to-day lives. If you’re plagued by consistent bad breath, you should know that it’s not a hopeless situation. In fact, there are several simple steps you can take to rid yourself of embarrassing bad breath once and for all.
- Be persistent with your oral hygiene routine. Getting rid of bad breath could be simply a matter of making sure that you brush and floss daily. You should brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. When you brush, make sure you brush your tongue as well, since a lot of bacteria can collect there, and that could be the source of your bad breath.
- Visit your dentist for an oral exam. Your bad breath could be the result of tooth decay or some other dental issue. So it’s important to visit your dentist on a regular basis for professional cleanings and dental exams. If your bad breath is due to a problem with your teeth and gums, resolving that problem is the only way to rid yourself of your bad breath.
- Quit using tobacco products. Aside from the fact that tobacco – whether you smoke it or chew it – stains your teeth and puts you at a much higher risk of developing oral cancer and gum disease, it can also be the cause of your bad breath.
- Take steps to alleviate your dry mouth. If you suffer from chronic dry mouth, it can also leave you with persistent bad breath. Dry mouth could be caused from a variety of different issues – from prescribed medications to sleep disorders and more – so talk to your dentist about your dry mouth to determine the best way to resolve the problem.
- Avoid certain foods and beverages that can cause bad breath. Spices like garlic, produce like onions, and beverages like coffee can all leave you with bad breath. So try to limit your consumption of these as much as possible.
- Chew sugar-free gum. Not only will gum help to eliminate your bad breath, it can also benefit your oral health. Chewing gum stimulates the production of saliva, which helps to wash away any leftover food particles, and that reduces the chance that cavity-forming bacteria will develop inside your mouth. Just make sure the gum is sugar-free.
- Try a mouthwash. Although mouthwash is usually a short-term solution to bad breath, some rinses – like those that are designed to alleviate dry mouth or kill bad bacteria inside the mouth – can help you to eliminate the causes of bad breath.
If you’re tired of the embarrassment of bad breath, take heart! Just follow these simple tips and you’ll never have to cover your mouth during a conversation again.
FREE Exam & X- Rays
Get $1000 OFF
EZ Braces Treatment